Plant pathology is one of the three teams in the Plant Protection and Quarantine Division. Other teams included in the division are Entomology, Plant Quarantine and Phytosanitary and Food Conservation and Storage.
To develop and adapt disease control technologies and provide services such as disease identification and advisory and tissue culture to the farming community and other stakeholders.
- Identification of disease causing agents (pathogens) and provide control strategies to all stakeholders to minimize crop yield losses.
- Determining the occurrence and importance of plant diseases.
- Evaluating pesticides for disease control.
- Screening and evaluating crop germplasm for disease resistance.
- Developing integrated pest management (IPM) strategies.
- Developing and adapting plant pathology biotechnology tools in disease diagnostics